Collision coverage provides insurance for your vehicle in the event of an auto accident. When someone says, “full coverage auto insurance“, that normally implies comprehensive and collision coverage.

What is Collision Coverage?


When you think of the damages that can occur to your car, they tend to fall into two categories, collision and comprehensive.  Collision covers most damages that will happen to your car when it is moving, or when another car hits your car. Collision coverage only provides coverage to your car, and in some cases your temporary car. If you cause an auto accident, the damage to the other drivers car comes from your liability property damage limit.

With the exception of some stated value auto policies, collision almost always carriers a deductible.  Collision coverage is more expensive than comprehensive coverage, so usually the lowest deductible people might carry is $250, however $500, or even $1,000 is more common.

When choosing your collision deductible, it’s important to keep in mind that you may be paying that deductible, even if you didn’t cause the accident. You are required to pay your deductible if your car is damaged by a hit and run driver.  You might also be required to pay your deductible if the other driver refuses to take responsibility for the accident, even if they admitted fault at the scene of the accident.  It’s always a good idea to call the police and file a police report anytime you’re involved in an accident.

What does Collision Coverage cover?

  • Damage to your vehicle if you hit a tree.
  • Damage to your vehicle if you hit a building.
  • Damage to your vehicle if you hit a person.
  • Damage to your vehicle if you hit another car.
  • Damage to your vehicle if you hit a stationary object.
  • Damage to your vehicle if it’s hit by a hit & run driver.

What’s Required?

The law does not mandate that you carry collision coverage.  However, if you have a loan on the car or you’re leasing the car, the bank holding title to the car will mandate that you carry comprehensive and collision coverage.  Some lien holders require deductibles of less than $1,000 or $500.  The lower your deductible, the more expensive your car insurance will be.