Home insurance is sometimes referred to as “fire insurance”. Most policies covers many things, including theft, vandalism, hail, fire and sudden and unexpected release of water. A flood is not covered by your typical home insurance policy. A flood, as defined by FEMA, is a temporary condition where two or more acres of normally dry land or two or more properties are inundated by water or mudflow. You must purchase flood insurance to cover a flood.  If you have a Safeco policy, we may be able to endorse flood coverage to your home policy.